Unfortunately, 2014 is the LAST year for the Grilled Cheese Invitational (tears!). We've decided that we were going to win it all this year! If you're in the LA area, please do come, say hello, and cheer us on!! (We'll be Team GR-818 "Brie"-zies!)
In honor of this Saturday's Grilled Cheese Invitational, here's one of my grilled cheese recipes - the Brie & Spinach Grilled Cheese!
4 slices of 7-Grain Bread (or Whole Wheat)
1/2 stick of butter (room temperature)
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp ground brown mustard
Double Crème Brie (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup of freshly shredded White Cheddar
1/3 cup sliced red onions
1/2 cup chopped spinach
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Melt 1 tsp of butter in a hot pan. Sautee the red onions and spinach together. Once the spinach is wilted, season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
2. Combine the room temperature butter with the Sriracha. Set aside.
3. Take 2 slices of bread and spread one side of each bread with the Sriracha butter.
4. Spread brown mustard on the other side of both pieces of bread.
5. On a hot pan, place one slice of bread butter side first. Add a couple slices of brie on the bread.
6. Add a layer of the sautéed spinach on top of the open-faced sandwich in the pan.
7. Add a generous heap of shredded white cheddar cheese. Place the other piece of sliced bread on top - mustard side down.
8. Flip the grilled cheese to brown the other side. Press the grilled cheese down with a spatula to help crisp the edges.
9. Take the grilled cheese from the pan and slice diagonally. Enjoy immediately!