Spicy Penne with Broccoli Rabe & Caramelized Leeks
1 box Whole Wheat Penne noodles
1 bunch Broccoli Rabe, chopped
1 stalk Leeks, sliced thinly
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup oyster mushrooms (or any type of mushroom)
5 cloves of minced garlic
1 tomato, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 stick of butter
1/3 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flakes
1. Cook the box of Whole Wheat Penne in boiling water. Set the timer for 7 minutes for al dente noodles.
2. In a different sautee pan, caramelize the leeks with the olive oil. When the leeks are nice and caramelized (about 3-5 minutes), add the minced garlic and the thyme, oregano, and basil. Add the mushrooms and cover for a minute to cook through.
3. Add the white wine and let the alcohol burn off for a minute. Add the broccoli rabe and tomatoes. Stir all the vegetables and add the lemon juice.
4. Add the cooked penne to the vegetables and stir evenly.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Add the red chili flakes (depending on your spice preference).
6. Finish with adding the butter and tossing in the freshly grated mozzarella. (Butter and cheese always makes everything better!)
Serve and Enjoy!